Attorneys For Birth Injuries In New Orleans
Legal Help For Injuries Suffered At Birth
The birth of a child is one of the most memorable and joyous experiences parents can have. But medical mistakes or negligence made during the prenatal or neonatal period that cause an injury to a baby can have a life-altering impact.
My name is Mike Gertler and I am a birth injury attorney in New Orleans and a managing partner of the Gertler Law Firm – a Personal Injury Law Firm based in New Orleans, Louisiana.
What To Do If You Suspect A Birth Injury At The Hospital
If you are concerned that your child’s injury – or an injury to the birth mother – may be due to medical negligence, you deserve to find out what happened.
Over the years, I’ve heard the many defenses that medical professionals give, such as:
- The doctor did not believe the delivery would happen so soon so they were not present;
- The hospital had no backup for the absent doctor;
- The nurses on duty failed to notice the tell-tale signs of fetal distress;
- Or, the doctor should have performed another procedure to protect the child and mother.
What it comes down to is this…. the people who end up paying the most for these mistakes and negligence is the child – and the family members who face life-long care issues for the child.
Often, the expenses required to care for a child who has suffered a serious birth injury can run into the millions of dollars for treatment and care.
And it should be the individuals that caused the birth injuries that end up paying for the mistake – not the family. We pursue these mistakes through Birth Injury Lawsuits.
In this type of situation, close study of medical records by legal professionals and birth experts is really the only way to determine who was responsible for your child’s birth injury – and if negligence played a part.
As medical malpractice attorneys, if we determine the birth injury was preventable, we will pursue those responsible and hold them accountable.
Just below, you’ll see a list of common birth injuries we can assist with. Keep in mind this list is not all-inclusive, but references the more common injuries.
- Birth injury or trauma resulting from improper or aggressive use of forceps or suction, which may result in Erb’s Palsy;
- Vaginal birth after a cesarean section resulting in a hysterectomy, a ruptured uterus due to a VBAC, or even the death of the birth mother;
- A delay in diagnosing fetal distress even though fetal monitoring information was readily available;
- Too long of a delay in performing a C-section causing injury to the baby;
- Spinal cord damage or brain injury resulting from lack of oxygen – known as brain hypoxia;
- Hospital and Physician mistakes that cause cerebral palsy;
- Premature births caused by a urinary tract infection, incompetent cervix, or other conditions that should have been indentified and treated to avoid a pre-term birth;
- Bleeding in the brain, lung problems, internal bleeding or Necrotizing enterocolitis (a bowel infection) resulting from an unnecessary premature birth;
- Failure to diagnose a birth mother with gestational diabetes;
- Failure to identify macrosomia, which is a recognizable pre-birth condition where the child’s head and shoulders are too big to pass through the birth canal;
- Cerebral Palsy;
- Shoulder Dystocia diagnosis, which is an injury to the baby caused by the shoulders getting stuck during delivery.
Birth Injury Attorney in New Orleans
Our only goal is to help you uncover the truth. If you, or your child, have been the victim of medical malpractice, please call our office at 504-581-6411…. If the call is long distance, use our toll-free number at 877-581-6411.
Every birth injury case is unique, and only after discussing how your baby was injured with an attorney can you fully understand your legal position.
Of course, the call or meeting is confidential – and absolutely FREE.
And if we pursue your birth injury case, this firm operates on a contingency fee basis – meaning we do not charge for our services unless we secure a settlement for you or are successful in the courtroom. You will also not have to pay for any costs or expenses related to your case if there is no award or settlement.
Help For A Baby Injured At Birth
I thank you for visiting our website…. and if you have questions about birth injuries and the law, or if you need the help of an experienced and successful New Orleans Birth Injury Lawyer to help obtain the compensation your family and your injured newborn child deserves, please do call.