≡ Menu

Can I Sue For Lost Income If I Am Injured In An Accident?

The citizens of New Orleans know how difficult it can be to try to support yourself and your family under difficult economic circumstances. If you are injured and unable to work, supporting yourself can be overwhelming.

Fortunately, if that injury was the result of another’s negligence, the injured party often has the right to pursue compensation for lost wages.

Also, in cases where a person suffers injuries that lead to a long term or permanent inability to work, the injured person may sue for future lost wages based on a projection of what his or her earnings would have been if the injury had not occurred.

Given the financial difficulty a permanently disabled individual may face in the future, this can prove a very significant aspect of a lawsuit brought under these circumstances.

If you are in this situation, however, you should bear in mind that in some cases limitations may be imposed on what you can recover. For example, if you were injured in a work related accident and received payment for lost wages through a worker’s compensation carrier, that carrier may seek reimbursement of its payments to you against the amount you would otherwise receive for lost wages in your personal injury case.

If you have been injured in an accident and have any questions regarding recovery of lost wages from the party who caused your injury, please feel free to call my office at 504-581-6411 or 877-581-6411. We would be happy to help you.