≡ Menu

I Won’t Be Able To Return To Work In New Orleans Because Of My Injuries. Can I Sue For Lost Income?

If you are injured and unable to work, supporting yourself can become an overwhelming problem.  While many New Orleans residents have been faced with difficulty supporting themselves and their families under difficult economic circumstances, being placed in this position because of another’s negligence is especially unfair.  Fortunately, under such circumstances the injured party often has the right to pursue compensation for lost wages.

While a short-term inability to work can be difficult enough for an injured person, some cases involve injuries that lead to long-term or permanent inability to work.  When this occurs, an experienced personal injury attorney will pursue not only past lost wages, but also future lost wages based on a projection of what the injured person’s earnings would have been if the injury had not occurred.  Given the financial difficulty a permanently disabled individual may face in the future, this can be a very significant monetary aspect of a lawsuit.

If you are in this situation, however, you should bear in mind that in some cases limitations may be imposed on what you can recover.  For example, if you were injured in a work related accident and received payment for lost wages through a worker’s compensation carrier, that carrier may seek reimbursement of its payments to you against the amount you receive for lost wages in your personal injury case.

If you have been rendered unable to work as a result of an accident, please feel free to call my office at 504-581-6411 or 855-GERTLER.  We would be happy to help you.